Thursday, April 7, 2011

For those  of you have had questions about where do I get my proteins since I don't eat meat ~ have no fear!  According to what I've read, our body requires about 5% of our daily intake of calories to come from protein to be healthy.Vegetables are anywhere from 20-50% protein  ~ sprouts, beans, nuts & grains up to 25% and fruits about 5%. 
Therefore I get plenty of protein in my diet and love the food choices I make.

Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) Looks like a grain and tastes like a grain but it is actually a seed, related to the spinach family. Quinoa is considered a 'superfood"  not only because it is full of phytonutrientsand antioxidants but it is also a complete protein! Quinoa is close to one of the most complete foods in nature because it contains amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and phytonutrients.
 I thought this was really interesting!

Quinoa is really easy to prepare and has become a staple food in my house. It is light and fluffy and has a slightly nutty taste that can be combined with just about anything you have on hand at home. If ever you're searching to throw a quick, nutritious meal together quinoa is your answer. It can found at any health food store or local supermarket.

Here's some nice additions to cooked quinoa that I have made ~
sauteed greens (anything I have on hand, spinach,kale, swiss chard) ) 
with  oil, garlic or ginger
mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and broccoli
roasted veggies of any sort.... Be Creative!!!

Here's a recipe I make quite often

Ingredients
box of quinoa
water
sun dried tomatoes
1 bunch rainbow swiss chard
fresh ginger
olive oil
sea salt


to prep
Add 1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
bring to a boil in saucepan
reduce heat and simmer 15 min. 


Wash your chard well 
(I roll the leaves up to resemble a long tube ~ chop into inch size pieces)
peel and dice 2 inch piece of ginger


Sautee ginger and sun dried tomatoes for about 5 minutes with oil in frying pan
add chopped chard and sautee on low until wilted to taste (about 10 minutes)

Put it all together in a large bowl and Enjoy!

Quinoa has a mild taste so you can spice it up any way you prefer ~ you can't go wrong :)

There are lots of great quinoa recipes on the internet ~ take a peek you won't be disappointed! Let me know what you make ~ I love to share recipes!


Here's a link of lots of great quinoa recipes I found  ~ http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-recipes/













1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...