Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!
It's the unofficial start to summer and I couldn't be happier :)
Well that's not entirely true because it's pouring rain at the moment....But thats alright, my garden is loving it. Hopefully the skies will brighten so we can all go out and play later!
My hula hoop is calling my name and my rebounder is ready and waiting in the back yard. Moving my body every day consistently is what I'm really focusing my attention on these days. It feels great! In a few days I'll write more about it ~ this will surely take an entire page. 
 Many summer activities are based around food with cookouts, picnics and outdoor patio dining in full swing. Summer's a great time to be creative with the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies available. I really enjoy pretty recipes. If it's appealing to the eye, it's usually just as delicious as it looks. And with summer fruits & veggies vibrant as the colors of the rainbow, it's so easy to prepare beautiful, healthy food. 



Here's a scrumptious, raw coleslaw I recently made that is definitely a keeper!
It's crunchy and sweet and really easy to make. I didn't have red cabbage but I'm sure it would make for an even prettier presentation.... Next time I'll make it with the red cabbage and post a picture. I'll be making this again really soon!


Crunchy Coleslaw
Ingredients
1/2 red cabbage
2 carrots
1/4 red onion
1/4 cup of raisins
1 granny smith apple
1/4 cup walnuts
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp Cold pressed olive oil 
Directions
Cut the red cabbage and red onion into thin strips
grate the carrot (I used a vegetable peeler)
dice the apple into bite sizes pieces
Place all ingredients except the lemon and oil in a bowl and mix well
in a separate bowl stir together the lemon and oil

pour over the salad and lightly toss

Enjoy!

What says summer more than beautiful fresh fruit!
Here's a simple bowl of blueberries ~ strawberries ~ raw slivered almonds and unsweetened coconut flakes (which are actually very sweet naturally)  ~ it's one of my favorite lunches lately.


A little watermelon anyone? 

 Frozen Banana Delight  :)
2 Frozen bananas
dash cinnamon
dash vanilla
blend 
top with walnuts
Enjoy!

Blueberry Banana Whip

2 frozen bananas
2 handfuls fresh blueberries
blend about 1 minute
top with raw slivered almonds
Amazing!



                                 Simple ~ Nutritious ~ Delicious!   That's my mantra  :) 

Wishing everyone a Happy Memorial Day ~ Let's not forget what this holiday is really all about...

     "In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved." - Franklin D. Roosevelt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...