Sunday, May 15, 2011

Have you heard about the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15?


Fruits and veggies are a such a vital part of a healthy diet, but some contain high amounts of pesticide residue that can not be washed off in the kitchen sink Even scrubbing well will not clean these foods adequately.
Yet, not everyone can afford to buy organic all of the time. I recently learned of these 2 lists that have been really helpful to me when shopping for my produce. This information is provided by the Environmental Working Group.


The Dirty Dozen are the top 12 fruits and veggies that are the most contaminated with pesticides. The safest bet is to only buy organic when choosing these foods. I know organic foods are more expensive, but if you are able to buy only some items organic, these would be the foods to focus on! The amount of pesticide exposure is reduced from about 80% to 10% when going organic when purchasing these fruits and veggies. That's a significant reduction and has surely affected my choices when buying my produce.


The Clean 15 is a list of fruits and veggies that are the safest to buy conventionally in the supermarket. If it's difficult to spend the extra money on organic all the time, the Clean 15 are choices we can make that are safe and a little more affordable.


The Dirty Dozen
Peaches
Apples
Bell peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Kale
Leafy Greens
Grapes
Carrots
Pears


The Clean 15
Onions
Avocado
Sweet Corn
Pineapple
Mango
Asparagus
Sweet Peas
Kiwi
Cabbage
Eggplant
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Grapefruit
Sweet Potato
Honeydew Melon


Early on my journey of healthier eating, I made the decision that I'd purchase organic foods as much as possible for myself. Although I am spending a little more money on my groceries this past year, it's an investment in my health and well being that I am happy to make!


Health & Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...