Thursday, August 11, 2011

The perfect summer food

I love August, it's my favorite month!

 Everything is so alive. There's nothing better than hot summer nights full of floral scents and the songs of crickets.

 These past few weeks I've been on vacation. It's been wonderful to have the break from work for such a long stretch at a time. I found myself daydreaming of a time when my days will be all mine, free to do as I please whenever I choose.Yet, I don't want to wish away my life so I bring myself back to the present and make a point of enjoying the here and now! 

Speaking of "now".... I have had my head buried in the computer for the past month working on a very special project! It's taken me away from my blog but it will only be for a few more days. I will be back in full swing by next week with lots of great new recipes I have been enjoying on these hot summer days. I am really excited about this endeavor and will share all about in really soon! In the meantime let's talk food!

With these hot summer days I don't really feel like eating as much as usual. Watermelon is at it's best right now and I've been enjoying it daily. It's so refreshing and sweet and I love digging in to a whole half and scooping it right out like ice cream, delicious!!

Watermelon is not just delicious but so much more nutritious than I realized. Upon researching watermelon I found that it is actually packed with some of the most important antioxidants in nature. Watermelon is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A. It is also a very concentrated source of lycopene. Lycopene has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties. Watermelon is rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production. It is a very good source of B6 and B1, magnesium, and potassium Because watermelon has a higher water content and lower calorie content than many other fruits (a whole cup of watermelon contains only 48 calories), it delivers more nutrients per calorie!

Next time you're searching for that little something sweet ~ grab a spoon and dig into some sweet, juicy watermelon! 

It's healthy ~ nutritious ~ delicious and satisfying.... It doesn't get any better than that in my eyes!
                     I think I've found the perfect food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...